Want to take a vacation in a winter wonderland? Looking for Niagara Falls events that brighten up the season? The Niagara Falls Festival of Lights is one of the top Niagara Falls Canada attractions because it transports visitors to a gorgeously mesmerizing wintry paradise, one that the whole family will love. Here’s everything you need to know about one of the coolest things to do in Niagara Falls:
What Is the Niagara Falls Festival of Lights?
The Niagara Falls Festival of Lights is an annual event that has been held every winter in Niagara Falls, Canada, since 1982. LED technology illuminates more than 3 million tree lights and more than 120 animated displays.
The latest Niagara Falls Festival of Lights takes place through January 31, 2019. More than 1 million visitors head to the event every year.
How Long Is the Niagara Falls Festival of Lights?
The Niagara Falls Festival of Lights route is 8km long. Visitors can walk, bike or drive along the route. It travels through Dufferin Islands, Niagara Parks and the surrounding tourist districts.
What Will You See at the Niagara Falls Festival of Lights?
At the Niagara Falls Festival of Lights, you can see normal landmarks all dressed up in lights for the occasion, as well as special displays created just for the event. Some include:
- Zimmerman Fountain – see this 40-foot wide fountain bathed in light and colour
- More than a dozen 3D Canadian wildlife displays – view native wildlife in lights, like moose, Canadian geese, wolves and polar bears
- The world’s largest Canadian-American flag – the light display switches between the American and Canadian flags to show goodwill between the two countries
- Noah’s Ark – see this animal-themed light display at the event
- Lights on top of Niagara’s Skylon Tower – the 520-foot high tower is illuminated by three image projectors and the latest lighting technologies
- More than 50 trees in Dufferin Islands covered in lights – music accompanies this dazzling show
- Toronto Power Generating Station Light Show – this historic energy production structure is lit up with a light show accompanied by music
- Floral Showhouse – see the annual Christmas display of winter flora amid traditional-themed holiday light displays
- Table Rock Centre – blue and white lights illuminate this retail and observation complex, complementing the illumination of Niagara Falls
- Queen Victoria Place – this majestic restaurant is covered in lights and surrounded by illumination throughout the grounds of Queen Victoria Park
- Oaks Garden Theatre – various illumination displays can be seen throughout the grounds surrounding this theatre
If you’ve seen any of these landmarks during the day, their appearance totally transforms at night during the Niagara Falls Festival of Lights. The beautiful displays are really special to experience in person and ignite an energy in Niagara Falls like no other.
Are There Special Niagara Falls Festival of Lights Events?
Yep! There are several events that take place each season, from kickoff to closing. These include:
- Opening ceremonies in Queen Victoria Park – typical opening ceremonies include food trucks, live entertainment, interactive displays and kids activities
- Deck the Falls Holiday Walking Tour – held several weekends throughout the Niagara Falls Festival of Lights, this event features pop-up carolers, holiday beverages, photo ops, craft activities, gourmet food and other entertainment
- Nightly Falls Illumination – see Niagara Falls lit up at night!
- Sparkle Lighting Awards – Niagara Falls residents and businesses are encouraged to get in on the holiday light fun with these awards based on holiday light displays, which can be seen at the Niagara Falls Festival of Lights
- Niagara Falls New Year’s Eve concert – every year, new big names come to town to serenade residents and vacationers
- Cascades of Fire International Fireworks competition – the first year this competition was hosted in Niagara Falls was 2018, and it featured extensive fireworks shows synced with music over three weekend nights, with presentations from China, Brazil and Finland
Check out wfol.com to see an updated list of upcoming events.
How Much Does the Niagara Falls Festival of Lights Cost?
Viewing the lights is free, but visitors may donate to festival ambassadors to contribute proceeds that enhance the lights and displays.
Complete Your Visit with a Stay at the Marriott on the Falls Hotel
Winter is such a magical time in Niagara Falls, especially because of unique Niagara Falls events like the Niagara Falls Festival of Lights. If you plan to come here in winter, be sure to book your stay at the Marriott on the Falls hotel. With ultra-comfortable rooms and great views of Niagara Falls, we’ll do everything we can to make your stay amazing. Book your Niagara Falls winter visit.