Niagara region is starting to follow the trend of Summer Series outdoor concerts. Many wineries have the setup to host local music acts and grass-roots performances for summer shows. Possibly the most famous is the concert series at Jackson-Triggs, a prestigious wine estate just outside Niagara-on-the-Lake. The estate has a large open-air amphitheatre for full concerts from internationally acclaimed acts.
In 2017 the Jackson-Triggs Series includes:
• Whitehorse: a veteran husband-and-wife duet and winners of the Alternative Album of the Year Award at the 2016 Juno Awards.
• Gordon Lightfoot: a legendary folk singer and one of the defining influences on folk and rock since the 1960s.
• Alan Doyle and the Beautiful Gypsies: formerly of the Celtic rock band Great Big Sea, Alan Doyle’s new group is a headline act for the estate’s Canada Day week of high-profile acts.
• Chantal Kreviazuk: a platinum-grade artist with both indie clout and major commercial success as a multi-talented musician and songwriter.
Of course, Jackson-Triggs doesn’t have every act in town. The Artpark 2017 Concert Series is also still going on the other side of the international border – one of New York’s biggest regional summer festivals, Artpark attracted some of North America’s best in 2017 there is a long list of Performer but here are some:
- Brian Setzer: A mainstay in rock/swing since the 1980s, Setzer has gone from strength to strength and has enjoyed continual success across North America. Setzer is performing at Artpark alongside Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
• Lynyrd Skynyrd on August 15
Closer to home, the Fallsview Casino has a full line-up, including:
• The Gypsy Kings: a contemporary salsa/pop group of international acclaim.
• Don Felder: most well-known as vocalist, songwriter and leading guitarist for The Eagles, but he’s been performing solo for the past fifteen years to great success.
This doesn’t even include other wineries or independent venues. So if you’re after a concert in summer, Niagara’s got you covered! Check out the links for exact dates and bands.