The Welland Canals Centre will be holding a Welland Canal Guided Tour on Thursday, August 14th.
This guided tour talks place from 2pm – 3pm. The event is free to attend (although donations are encouraged), and all ages are welcome.
The walk takes place along the historic Welland Canal, and will follow the recreational pathway.
The guided tour will touch upon the impact the canal has on the communities in around the area, from the city of St. Catharines all the way down to Port Colbourne, Ontario.
Welland Canal History
Construction began in 1824, and was completed in 1830. Since that time the canal has transformed, and is currently in its fourth iteration.
A key part of the St. Lawrence Seaway, the 43 km (27 miles) route accommodates over 3000 ships and 40 million tonnes of cargo per year.
From the starting point in Lake Ontario, eight locks along the route lift boats up a total 574 feet.
The Centre is located in the city of St.Catharines, and is approximately a twenty minute drive from the Marriott Niagara Fallson the Falls Hotel.
The Welland Canals Centre is located at the same address as the St. Catharines Museum. The site is also home to the Ontario Lacrosse Hall of Fame. The museum, and Hall of Fame are open seven days a week during the summer, from 9am to 5pm. Admission to both is by donation.
The full address is:
St. Catharines Museum
1932 Welland Canals Pkwy.
St. Catharines, ON L2R 7K6
Combine this piece of modern nautical history with a stay at the four star Marriott Niagara Falls on the Falls Hotel.
To view our best rates visit: MarriottontheFalls.com